Local Attractions Around Yosemite National Park
While most people know Yosemite for the park itself, there are tons of outdoor activities and local attractions around Yosemite National Park that offer as much adventure as the park itself. Please note, if you do plan to explore Yosemite National Park, you are now required to make a reservation. More information and permits can be found here.
Our team at AutoCamp Yosemite put together a list of their favorite local activities in Mariposa County.
- SkyDive Yosemite: Is there a better place to skydive? SkyDive Yosemite is the only Skydive center with incredible views of Yosemite National Park and Yosemite Valley.
- Mariposa Museum & History Center: Explore an array of exhibits detailing Native American, Spanish Settlement, California Gold Rush and Yosemite, and Mariposa County History.
- Mariposa Visitor’s Center: Chock-full of information and experienced specialists who are ready to guide you through what there is to see and do in Mariposa County.
- Yosemite Trails Horseback Adventures: Explore Yosemite’s Mariposa Grove on horseback! No previous horseback riding experience necessary. Choose between a one or two hour ride led by experienced guides.
- River Creek Golf Course Oakhurst: Tee off at River Creek’s 9-hole championship golf course. In close proximity to Yosemite National Park, River Creek is surrounded by incredible natural views of the Sierras.
- Gold Panning at Yosemite Crystals: Mariposa’s one-stop-shop for local crystal and gold panning! Two-hour tours include a guided gold panning experience in which you learn the history of California Gold Mining and are able to keep all of the gold and crystals you find.
- California State Mining & Mineral Museum: Discover the importance of mining and minerals to our history, our environment, and our future. The museum offers free activities for children, including a Junior Ranger Program. Custom tours can be arranged for special groups.
- Balanced Rock in El Portal: Yoga and mindfulness classes and retreats based in El Portal.
- Wildland Trekking: all commercial options in the park: Guided hikes and backpacking trips in Yosemite National Park. Choose from a wide range of guided outdoor adventures led by the experts at Wildland Trekking.
- Casto Oaks Wine Tasting: Visit the Casto Oaks tasting room in downtown Mariposa! Just a ten-minute drive from AutoCamp Yosemite, Casto Oaks offers a wide range of local varietals.
- Yosemite Outfitters Fly Fishing: Discover beautiful Yosemite National Park through fly fishing along the Merced, Tuolumne, and Stanislaus Rivers. Choose either a full- or half-day trip which includes equipment, lunch, and experienced guides. Trips for children and families are also available!
- Butterfly Creek Winery: About 10 minutes from AutoCamp Yosemite, Butterfly Creek Winery and Vineyards is set on 200 acres of the Sierra Foothills. Enjoy a glass of local vino in the great outdoors.
- Mariposa Gold Mine Escape Room: Located in the Mariposa County Visitor Center, solve puzzles to escape the gold mine before time runs out!
- Yosemite Flight Tours: Experience Yosemite from new heights. Yosemite Flight Tours offer guided aerial tours of Yosemite National Park and the Sierra.
- Mariposa Stage Line: Take a ride through town on Mariposa’s own horse-drawn stagecoach. Your driver will take you back in time to an 1849 Gold Rush scene.
- Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine Railroad: Fun, historic railroad ride perfect for the whole family. Located about 10 minutes from the southern entrance of Yosemite National Park.
- Check out even more activities here: 100 Things to do in Mariposa County
- Stockton Creek Preserve: 12 min drive from AutoCamp Yosemite – 2.2 mile, dog-friendly loop featuring a beautiful lake and an abundance of wildflowers
- Briceburg Hiking Trail West: 10 min drive from AutoCamp Yosemite – 5 mile, dog-friendly loop along the Merced River
- Nelder Grove of the Giant Sequoias: 1.20 hr drive from AutoCamp Yosemite – Explore the 1,540-acre tract containing over 100 mature Giant Sequoia trees
- Lewis Creek Trail: 50 min drive from AutoCamp Yosemite. 0.5 round trip hike to Corlieu Falls, 3 miles round trip to Red Rock Falls
- Bagby Recreation Area/trail: 30 min drive from AutoCamp Yosemite – 3.3 miles out and back trail along the Merced River. Perfect for all skill levels
- Ponderosa Basin/Pilot Peak loop: 30 min drive from AutoCamp Yosemite – 8-mile moderate loop
- Lake McClure- various water sports
- Bagby Recreation Area
- Bass Lake
- Merced River
MERCED RIVER ACTIVITIES
DOWNTOWN MARIPOSA ACTIVITIES
- Chocolate Soup: Vintage and locally made gift and home goods
- Brickwall Boutique: Women’s clothing store
- Anahata Fair Trade: Retail store featuring fair trade and locally handcrafted items
- George’s Fremont House: Locally inspired clothing, footwear, and accessories for men and women
- Farmer’s Market (Wednesday evenings): Organic produce, local food, and crafts. Every Wednesday on 6th Street, Mariposa.
- The Grove House- live music
- The Alley
- The Hideout Saloon
- Miners Bar
- Airport Bar & Restaurant
- June Bug Cafe at Yosemite Bug Hostel
- CostaLivos Tasting Room and Restaurant
- 1850 Restaurant and Brewery
- Charles Street
- The Gold Coin
- Don Reuben’s Mexican Restaurant
- High Country Health Foods
- Pony Expresso Coffee House
- South Gate Brewery, Oakhurst