Canola oil, for deep-frying
4 green (unripe) tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch-thick (5 mm) rounds
Flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons sea salt
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 cups (240 g) all-purpose (plain) flour
2 cups (280 g) rice flour
1 cup (100 g) tapioca flour
2 tablespoons milk
1 cup of good quality storebought mayonnaise
2 chipotle chilis from the can, diced finely
1 lime, juiced
Salt to taste
To serve (optional)
Burger buns of your choice, split
Butter lettuce leaves
Sliced long red chile, suchas bird’s eye (optional)
1. To make the chipotle sauce, combine the mayonnaise, chipotle chilis and lime juice in a bowl and whisk well to combine. Season with salt. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
2. To make the fried tomatoes, heat enough oil for deep-frying in a saucepan on a campfire grill to 350°F (180°C).
3. Meanwhile, season the tomato slices on both sides with salt and pepper.
4. Combine the dry mix in a shallow bowl. In another shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the milk. Dredge the tomato through the flour mixture, then the egg wash, and finally coat well in another layer of the dry mix.
5. Working in batches, fry the tomato slices for 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
6. Serve the fried green tomatoes on their own with the chipotle sauce, or assemble into buns with a good dollop of sauce, a few butter lettuce leaves and slices of chile.
Recipe from Open Skies, Prestel Publishing. Stay tuned for book events with Sarah at AutoCamp locations.